If you have dug deep into the Resource Allocation Report, you may want to find you want Project Insight to adjust remaining work hours across current tasks' duration. PI can use the remaining work hours and automatically adjust by the % Complete. The feature is called "Adjusted Work."
Adjusted Work equals the Remaining Work from today through the end of the task schedule. All work from before today is the Work Hours Completed equally divided from the start date of the task to the previous working day. Adjusted Work will always equal the Work Hours up until the task schedule has started.
In the example below, today is November 12 with 75% complete on task Testing Revision 21.4. The task schedule is from November 6-15. The 16 Work Hours Completed are 4 hours/day for the previous four days in the schedule with 1 hour per day to complete the remaining four hours in the remaining four scheduled days.
- Enable the setting in the Resource Allocation & Management under Add-ons
- Run a Project Resource Allocation Report (generic)
- Without the Work Adjusted field, Mr. Boss will have his 11 Work Hours spread over 5 days (2.2hrs/day)
- Include "Work Adjusted" and "Graph By Adjusted Hours" from the Row Selections in the Display & Filter Options
- Update the task to a Work Status other than "Not Started" - in my example I did "Almost Done"
- Now (below) the amount of work finished on Mon and Tues reflects the Work Status of Almost Done, and the remaining work has been adjusted.
If you are a Microsoft Project enthusiast, we do offer a Manual Leveling Work feature. We have reasons to not like MSP resource leveling, but the feature exists in PI.
Can this function so it calculates the remaining time by the actual hours inputted instead of the work status? And the work status would be auto-calculated based off of the actual hours instead of having to be set manually? Calculating the remaining time based on actual hours inputted instead of the work status is more accurate with how much time is remaining on the task. Is this possible to do?
The "Work Hours Remaining" is based upon the "earned value (hours)" versus the actual hours.
Your suggestion is that the report would use another option, which is currently labeled in report columns as "Var. Work Hours vs Actual." That value can go into negative hours as time entries exceed the planned/estimated hours. For the purposes of the report, I presume that PI would value all work as 100% complete once the variance is 0 or fewer hours.
I agree with Rachel Wood. If the remaining time were calculated by Actual Hours entered, then the task owner doesn't need to remember to go that extra step of setting the Work Status or Percent Complete.
...Because we all know asking a lot of individuals to do an extra step can be challenging.
Thank you for adding this function! It will really help my organization manage resources.
We also use the Remaining Capacity row to see how much capacity a resource has in the future, so we can estimate whether they would be available for a new project.
We also use the "Over Allocated Work Hours" row to see exactly how much over (10h over or 100h over?).
Currently, when I change the Work Status/Percentage Complete (e.g., from 0% to 30%), both row numbers stay the same.
Would it be possible to have a "Remaining Capacity Adjusted" row and an "Over Allocated Work Hours Adjusted" row? Then, for the purpose of my organization, we would just use all the "Adjusted" display options.
This will greatly increase the accuracy of resource allocation for tasks with long durations, without having individuals manually closing old tasks and opening new ones each month.
One more observation:
Right now, if I mark a task 90% complete, it will distribute 90% of the time evenly across the duration that has past, and then distribute the remaining 10% of the time across whatever duration is left.
HOWEVER, if I mark the task as 100% complete with duration left on the calendar, the report displays as if the task is 0% complete (time evenly distributed across the entire duration of the task).
Shouldn't the report show 100% of the time be distributed across the duration that has past? And zero time going forward from the day the task is marked 100% complete?
I know I can change the Display option to uncheck "Include Completed Tasks", but then it looks like the task owner has done no work by mid to end of month, making them look like they were under allocated for the whole month.
Sorry for the delayed answer, Kathy.
Changing completed tasks to differ in the past allocation reporting from the PM's current schedule are not planned. So yes, you have to change the schedule to match the past if you want historical allocation data to match the dates within which the work was completed.
Please sign in to leave a comment.