Under the User Profile > Resource Info tab, work allocation and capacity has four settings, three of which are used for advanced allocation reporting...
- Percent Allocation is the percent Admins will want to use if they want to have different allocations on a project-by-project basis
- Value is the % defaulted to the user when assigned to a project - appears as "Def % Alloc" on the Project Resources page. Changing the % in the profile will not revert the Def % Alloc on past projects, it will only effect newly created projects
- Value is an optional Row in Allocation reports (called % Allocation) but will not effect Over Allocation graphs in the Resource Allocation Reports
- Value may be changed on a project-by-project basis
- More information on usage of this value and changing it at the project level can be found in the Add Resources to Projects section
- Utilization Percent is often thought of as a target for resource utilization - which is why it is called Target Utilization in Resource Allocation reporting
- This value will indicate what % of the User's Work Schedule that can possibly to be assigned to work
- If left blank, the default % for Utilization will be used in the Capacity & Allocation Add-On config
- Value will not effect Over Allocation graphs in the Resource Allocation Reports
- Capacity Percent is the threshold for overallocation in the Resource Allocation Reports - it is the most commonly used setting here because it will drive the red indicators in allocation reporting
- Value is % of the User's Work Schedule that can be assigned to work without going Over Allocated in allocation reporting
- If left blank, the default % for Capacity will be used in the Capacity & Allocation Add-On config
Capacity Percent Max
- Capacity Percent Max is an informational %, it is the threshold that generates an Over Allocation Alert when exceeded
- Value will not effect Resource Allocation Reports beyond alerts within the scheduling interface and email notifications when exceeded
Want to Check the Math?
Scenario: I set each of my Resources to 89% capacity and I want a report to visually represent if they are over-allocated to that capacity.
- Set the Capacity Percent in the Resource Profile and/or the Capacity Percent Default on the Resource Allocation Configuration page
- Set up Project Resource Allocation Report
- Include the Work and Capacity rows in "Row Selections"
- Run the report!
- Note that the Work Hours is 1,800.00 and the Capacity is 1,808.48
- The capacity is being calculated for you (as 89% of your total work schedule)
- Hover over the Work Hours to see the % Allocation - 99.53%
- Since the % Allocation is not over 100%, my Resource is not over-allocated
- Note: PI is calculating that the Resource is 99.53% Allocated from their Capacity (1,800/1,808.48)
- If it is over 100%, the number will appear in red