A resource is no longer available and needs to be replaced by a new resource. The best process for this is to work with the project manager for each project. Each project may need some scheduling adjustments, as well as resource re-assignment. The process for each project uses the resource assignment changes within the project as described in another article referenced in the steps below.
Before we start...
You can now use the New Mass Assign Tasks across the Portfolio feature to avoid speaking to each Project Manager individually. But if you are concerned about project schedules, continue to follow the instructions below.
- Run the Task Resource Report for the resource grouped by Project, include the Primary Project Manager column and a filter for all incomplete tasks. his gets you a list of all Active projects, while not displaying those projects with only completed tasks for the resource to be replaced.
- Replace the resource using the Mass Assign Task Resources for each project. No time entry history is changed when removing a resource so you will not lose any of this time tracking information for your former resource.
- The former resource often has reports of value and we want the new resource to take ownership of those same regularly-used reports.
- Impersonate the former resource and review each saved report owned by the resource, taking note of the shared people and groups for those reports.
- Share each of those reports to the new resource.
- Save each of those shared reports for the new resource, which results in a temporary duplication of reports for the new resource. The shared report and the "owned" report are the same.
- Share the owned report for the new resource with the same entities shared by the previous resource. Again, your shared reports will temporarily be duplicates for those who now have access to the same reports shared by both resources.
- Impersonate the former resource and delete all of those reports which now have a new owner. Optionally, you could choose a more conservative approach to deleting the reports and save them after removing all sharing and scheduling.
- An inactive resource can always be impersonated by a PI administrator. If you missed reports because you did not think they were useful and decide differently later, the tools will remain available to do so.
Contact Us for More Changes
Changing out a user and/or resource responsibilities can be assisted through the services of our RealPM team. Sometimes it's as simple as following the above instructions to maintain history and shift future work assignments, or you may determine that it's better to contact us for RealPM services.