You want to know:
- What work does your team need to do?
- When can that work get done?
- Who's gonna do it?
- Will the work be completed on budget and on time?
But schedules are complicated!
Project Insight takes all schedules into account for you when scheduling projects and tasks using Work Schedules!
How to maintain Work Schedules
Our intelligent scheduling builds a schedule based on the Users' Calendars and the Project's Calendar. Let's discuss how to keep it simple vs how to use this robust feature to its fullest:
Keep Work Schedules Simple
Your team and their projects all follow the same hours in a day and the same holidays
Use one System Default Work Schedule.
Project Insight will automatically apply this schedule to all users and all projects. No need for project managers or user managers to change anything.
The PI System Default Work Schedule comes with the most common settings for work schedules (such as an 8 am to 5 pm - 8 hour work day and a Monday to Friday work week).
More Robust Scheduling Requirements
Change the potential Work Schedule at the following levels:
- User Work Schedule
- Project Work Schedules
- Individual tasks can use their own schedule independent of the project's calendar
All these options can affect the work assignments in different ways. Keep reading to see how these methods affect your schedule.
Project Insight will look for schedules in the following order:
- Does the Task have its own Work Schedule?
- Are the assigned task resources using a Personal Default vs. Project Default?
- If no resources, then use the Project Schedule
Where to enter Schedules
User Work Schedule
Use this option to account for resources' non-working days in your project schedules.
The user's work schedule will start with the System Default Work Calendar. Make changes to reflect how the user's work schedule is different from the default.
Read about entering those schedules in each User's Work Schedule.
Project Work Schedules
If this project will follow a specific calendar, you can either:
- Select from multiple system-wide calendars
- This option is meant for teams in multiple countries with different holidays
- Change the default for this calendar in particular
- Make changes to the Project Work Schedule
The project's work schedule will start with the System Default Work Calendar. Make changes to reflect how the project's work schedule is different from the default.
Individual Task Schedules
Change a Task's schedule independently from the project calendar. This is important for tasks that can only happen on a weekend or must be on a certain day.
Learn more about setting Task Work Schedules on the Task Detail Advanced screen.
Setting Work Schedules
There are three places to apply work schedules to projects:
- System-wide Work Schedules
- Project Insight automatically applies the Default Work Calendar to each project
- However, you can change from the default when you select from multiple system-wide calendars
- Templates' Project Work Schedule
- The template's work schedule applies to projects created from that template
- Overrides any system level default schedule
- Project Work Schedule
- Inherit settings from one of the above but can then change if required
Please sign in to leave a comment.