I often get asked "If I have a custom field on my project request, and I want that same field on my project without having to key in the data again, can I do that?" The answer is yes! And here's how
Setting up Project Request Custom Fields to copy its Value to Project Custom Fields
TIP: You need to have your PI Administrator do this part for you
- Navigate to the custom field administration and set up your project request custom field. Check out this Custom Fields article to find out more about how to use custom fields
- Once you've created your project request custom field, copy the custom field and select "Project" as the destination.
TIP: For this process to work, the two custom fields must have the exact same name, be the exact same input type, and, if the custom fields have list values, they also need to match. This is why this copy step is really important
- Your two matching custom fields are now set up
Using the Fields
- Use the project request field just as you would any other custom field. I.e. just fill it out on the project request add/edit form
- When you [Create Project] from the project request form, the value of the matched custom field will be pre-populated in the corresponding project custom field
TIP: If your field has list values (like a combo box), if you change/add list values in one of the matched custom fields, make the same change in the other
Please sign in to leave a comment.