Some customers doing internal projects, need to track certain tasks as CapEx tasks so their finance team can treat these cost appropriately under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Yes! I need to do that!
First, you need to set up a task custom field to identify which tasks are CapEx
TIP: You'll need a PI administrator to do this part for you
- In the left navigation, go to Customization > User Defined Fields
- Select Task from the list of items you can add custom fields to
- Fill in the custom field General tab as follows
- Fill in the Advanced tab like this
Next, go to your project's Task List
- Make sure your CapEx field is on your Task List using your page display options
- In the far left column, check all of the tasks that need to be set as CapEx tasks
- Use the bulk editor to set the checkbox to checked for all the selected tasks at once
TIP: You can set the CapEx checkbox on your project template so this is already done for you when you create a project from your template
Cool, how do I use this now?
Since you set the CapEx task custom field to be both a report filter and a 'group by' choice, you can run task reports for CapEx tasks alone (for finance) and grouped by CapEx and non-CapEx (for project analysis)
TIP: Check with your finance team to get the specific tasks you should check as CapEx based on your team's specific projects
Please sign in to leave a comment.