Your company may have multiple organizations that include a variety of departments with different processes and data reporting. You want to consider if one Project Insight instance will work well, or if multiple instances would be better. Let's review the following topics most important considerations:
- Global settings
Global Settings are just that, global. Settings are most frequently available for all system users regardless of their applicability to those users within their organization. For example, every user sees all Project Type selections regardless of their organization's use or need for some of the selection options:
If you have one Project Insight instance, all users must have the same configuration options for the following:
- User types, Departments and Resource types
- Companies and Contracts
- Project Settings, Project Types, health indicators, project status, work status type, resource type, and task type
- Time & expense codes
- Issue types
- Custom user defined fields
- Auto Notifications
- Workspace Name and Address (URL)
- There is only one account name.
- The account name is visible in emails if using formatted The account name is a part of the email sent and visible to end-users.
- Finally, the account name is visible on login page/prompt and is only editable by system administrators.
- If using one instance, reporting is centralized but customized to share reports with specific users, groups, companies. A report will restrict access to some data based on folder access, but not the following reports if the user is set up for global report viewing.
- Time and expense
- Invoice record
- Resource allocation
- Reporting filter selections and column selections are the same for all users.
- Quick Selections for column views set for global availability will be for everybody. The default global selection setting is available as one setting for all users. There is no separate default by organization.
- Here's a quick overview of the benefits and considerations of using one instance vs. multiple instances. If you're using one Project Insight support instance, benefits include:
- Unified user experience
- Unified reporting
- Cross-department escalations or tracking of issues are easier within one Support instance
- Unified user management and authentication:
- Single source of truth for users
- 360 view of customer
- Items to consider are:
- All Administration fields are globally configured. Users, Groups, Companies, Project Settings, etc. are available to all users and cannot be restricted by different organizations in the same instance.
- If you're using multiple Project Insight instances, benefits include:
- Compartmentalization is easier
- Flexibility to make changes that do not risk impacting other teams
- Fully customizable and tailored end-user experience per team