Time Entry in Project Insight is a must for teams who want to:
- Compare Actual Hours with your estimated work
- Track typical slowdowns or spot those tasks that require more work consistently
- Understand your projects' and portfolio profitability by comparing billable vs non-billable time
- Track overhead costs across the organization by tracking non-project time
Common Misconception: Time Entry is not a requirement for Planned Value and Earned Value
Least Complicated Time Entry in Project Insight
- Set at least one Time Code in the Administration section
- You can change the Time Approval settings to "None" in the Time Entry Sheet Settings to avoid all Time Entry approvals
- Add time to the Dashboard, Time Entry Grid, Time Entry Worksheet, or Task Detail Screen
- That's it! Three steps to getting Actual Hours into Project Insight
Things to Know About Time Entry
You can enter time in Project Insight on Companies, Projects, Tasks, Issues, To Dos, and Custom Items. There are two rules for time entries. These rules are configurable by you based on your company's needs
- Time entry on a Company. You can elect to allow time entries directly against a company. No other item is needed - no project, task, issue, etc. The most common use of company time entries is to record non-project admin time like training, PTO, administration, etc. Usually, company time entries are only allowed for your own company
- Time entry on another item. This means a project, task, issue, to do, and custom items. You get to control which of these items you allow time entry on. These items must be associated with a project to record time to them. E.g. tasks on a project (obvious), an issue must be on a project or task, etc.
Add Time Anywhere
As of recently, PI allows you to enter time against ANY work item regardless of your assignemnt (or lack thereof) to the item. This ability has to be enabled in the Time Entry Settings in Administration by your Sys Admin.
Beyond Easy Level Time Entry
There is a reason, of course, why Project Insight doesn't use a one-size-fits-all approach to Time Entry. You have choices because the least complicated settings may not fit your organizations process for entering time and routing time entries for approval.
Keep reading the sub-articles to learn about customizing your Time Entry with the following articles:
Time Entry Sheet Settings
Time & Expense Codes
Time Code Default
Time Approval Work Flow
Please sign in to leave a comment.