Archiving completed projects closes or archives the project from the project edit selections.
You may choose to organize archived projects in a separate folder from active projects:
- To control the volume of content in project folders
- To modify permission for past projects so that only certain individuals can make changes to completed projects
Automate both the move and permissions changes with these three settings in the System Configuration (read more in the Project Settings article):
Project Settings Example
- Automatically Move Archived Projects
- Allow User Selection of Archive Folder
- Automatically Reset Permissions on Archived Project
Minimally, projects should be moved upon archiving the projects.
Project Managers need to be trained as to this process, especially if the permissions change immediately after the projects move.
While this automated change in permissions is a good practice, the Project Manager must be aware because they will immediately remove the project manager's control from further changes without an intervention of a system administrator.
Make this change in Administration > Project > Settings:
Otherwise, run reports with Archive status to see these projects as historical data. This is available on Project reports where you can include all States (Active, Inactive, Archived, etc):
You can also get all historical financial data from reports, ex. Time Entry Reports:
- In Display Options choose to Group by "Project State"