Anyone with Add permissions can add an approval to an item. You can set approvals for one item or multiple items at once.
Add Approval to an item
While one the item's detail page, add an Approval to the related items:
Approval - Add/Edit
- Give your approval a name
- Optional description allows you to explain what you want your approver to look for
- Items is a list of files, tasks, projects (really any item in PI) you'll approve with this approval
- You'll automatically see the item where you originated this approval
- You can add more items in the lines below that item
- Name as many as you need to see the item
- Decide if you only need one of these user or all to approve with the All Approvers Must Approve option
- If all approvers must approve, does the order of approval matter? If so, select Approval Routed Sequentially
Activate and Send
- Deadline date is informational and reportable
- Activate and Send will launch the approval
- Do not select this option if creating this approval for later
Advanced Tab (Bleck!)
- Create an auto-alert to notify specific users:
- When each assigned approver provides their answer
- When the Final Approval is complete
- You can even customize the email message, but I'm not sure how well this works
Approving the Request for Approval
Upon sending the approval, each approver is notified via email when the approval is ready for their approval.
See the Approvals article for information about processing active Approvals.
Deactivating an Approval
- If the approval process has begun, the approval originator may deactivate the approval from the Add/Edit page
- If reactivated again, the process starts over and approvers must approve again
- This is because deactivation/reactivation implies making changes to either the item or the approval
- Those who approved the previous approvals must look at the request again to approve what has changed since they last approved
Want to know the weirdly specific rules for adding content in Project Insight? Read the Adding Content article for a full explanation of how different items affect adding content in PI.