During the installation of an upgrade, the following steps will be performed. These steps are not provided as a substitute for the installation instructions, but rather a quick-reference overview of the steps performed during the upgrade. The detailed installation instructions should be reviewed prior to the upgrade and referenced during the upgrade:
- Download the latest version to be supplied by your installation coordinator - (That's us!)
- Stop the Project Insight Web site in IIS to ensure that it is not in use. It is important that this is done prior to performing a backup
- Make a complete (full) backup of the Project Insight database in a locally accessible location
- Uninstall the previous version of Project Insight using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control panel
- Install the new Project Insight Web Application
- Apply any patches (only if instructed) as required
- Start the Project Insight Web site in IIS
- Login to the Project Insight application and ensure that the site is running without error
- The remaining steps apply only if newer versions of the referenced applications are required for compatibility with the upgraded Web application. If the applications referenced in these next steps are already the latest versions available, you can skip the remaining uninstall and reinstall steps for these applications:
- Uninstall the Project Insight Windows Service using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control panel
- Install the new version of the Project Insight Windows Service. Make sure the service has started
- Update the PI Windows Service config file if a user config has not been created (see Installation Instructions, Pages 89-90), pages can vary but should be in this vicinity where you must place EnableProjectBaselineSnapshots to "false" instead of "true"
Following the upgrade, tests are performed to make certain the services are running as expected:
- Send an email using the Email Page feature
- Send an email using the auto-alert feature
An upgrade process is often a good time to review internal IT practices for backup procedures and database maintenance. These critical backup and database maintenance procedures are the responsibility of internal IT staff. Metafuse Professional Services may be optionally retained if you prefer further assistance these procedures.
Please sign in to leave a comment.