This is a robust and complicated feature in Project Insight that allows Administrators to set who can see other users.
By default the group All Authenticated Users is set to communicate with All Authenticated Users. This means every user sees every other user when selecting users from within various sections of Project Insight (i.e. Directory, Add Resources to Projects, etc.).
Communication limitations can be set at the group, company or user level.
- A user with the Invoice Manager role or Time & Expense Report Viewer can see all users regardless of their communications settings when running the Time and Expense Reports
- When viewing time and expenses it is important that they see all time and expenses
- If both users restricted by communication rules are assigned to the same task by a project manager, they can see each others names listed as resources on that specific task
When restricting communications rules, always set Group or Company settings instead of setting communications on a user-by-user basis.
User level settings are only for use in very specific communication settings requirements for unique scenarios which can normally be avoided.
Setting Communication Rules
Select the Group Communication tab from within the All Authenticated Users Group communications editing. Use the communication assignments function to change the settings.
There are two common circumstances you may want to change the communications default:
If your Customers or Vendors are Project Insight users and you do not want them to be able to see all other users' contact information in the My Directory section, you may change their settings.
Your company asks customers to login to Project Insight. You want all of your internal company's users to see users in all other companies or any other user in the system, but you do not want users in any of your customer companies to see each other.
- Remove the communication rules for the group All Authenticated Users to the group All Authenticated Users
- Add the setting All Authenticated Users can communicate with Your Company and Your Company can communicate with All Authenticated Users
- Edit your company and check the box on the General tab marked "Enable company members to automatically communicate with all other companies"
- Once you have set your communication rules, test the settings by impersonating a user that is attached to a Client's company
- From their portal, use the My Insight drop-down menu to select My Directory and you will see only those users with whom this user has permissions to communicate