Navigate to the Add-Ons section if you do not have this feature already enabled. Click install and the feature will now be available on ever project in your system. Now you will see the option to set Cross Project Dependencies when hovering over the project Edit button.
This allows Project Managers to select tasks from the projects you list in this screen when editing task predecessors.
Select the desired project from the drop down list and select Add. Once completed you will be able to see the other project and its tasks for use when you do a predecessor on a task within the project.
Cross Project Dependency Rules
- When Project B Task A is deleted, Project C Task A is connected to Project A Task A.
- When project B is entirely deleted, Project C and Project A are not automatically calculated, but will recalculate the next time something changes. If the single task is deleted, then the recalculation does occur normally (if selected).
- Although Project Insight checks for circular references, they should be avoided. The example above will cause the calculation of the schedules to take longer since we have to calculate all 3 projects at once each time any of them change.
- When a project is copied, its relationships to external projects are not carried with it. But the dates of tasks, if pushed by those external relationships will maintain the dates that were last set.
- When a project is deleted, successor projects may not automatically be calculated as well. The first time the project is calculated, then the dates may shift.
Follow the link to continue reading about Best Practices for Cross Project Dependencies.