Project Insight is an SaaS service and supported as such per the Project Insight maintenance agreement. Installation infrastructure for non-SaaS customers is the responsibility of the customer. Project Insight maintenance does not include support for issues involving hardware, operating systems, network infrastructure, disaster recovery and security. Any support incident requiring assistance with infrastructure is charged at a two-hour minimum per incident fee, plus time and materials as required to resolve the issue.
If internal support expertise and/or resources are temporarily limited, Project Insight support may be requisitioned at the current professional services rate to assist. If infrastructure expertise is permanently experiencing limited resource constraints or these resources are foreseen as scarce for the foreseeable future, it is highly recommended to move your installation to the supported infrastructure of the Project Insight data center. Your account manager can work out the details of our service offering if you require further information.
Determining if a Problem is Infrastructure Related
Preliminary determination as to whether or not an issue is most likely a Project Insight software issue or a system infrastructure issue is done through a quick analysis. If your inquiry is in regard to a problem that does not exist in the Project Insight SaaS environment, it is usually an infrastructure issue. Support can usually alert you as to whether or not this case is likely an infrastructure issue quickly upon reading the details of any incident inquiry. If it is a suspected infrastructure issue, you will be asked whether or not you are prepared to pay services fees for the incident. At that time, you may decide that you are either willing to pay or that you would prefer to further investigate using your own resources before we proceed.
The initial troubleshooting to pinpoint infrastructure issues requires that you are prepared with the following knowledge and information:
- The Project Insight installation instructions. This is a detailed document describing the installation procedures and infrastructure requirements. A lack of compliance and/or understanding of this document is the number one cause of infrastructure problems. Changes made post-installation of Project Insight are frequently the source of infrastructure issues.
- The operating system Windows Server Event Viewer. Error messages in the Event Viewer will usually give general direction as to the source of the problem. Messages indicating file permission errors, SMTP relay failures and disk space allocation issues are examples of easily identified problems through the use of the Event Viewer.
Common infrastructure problems include, but are not limited, to the following general problems and error messages. All of these problems are addressed through a proper configuration in accordance with the installation instructions:
- “Page Not Found” messages due to permissions, security and/or IIS configuration issues
- “A System Error Has Occurred” message due to software or database configuration problems
- Email messages (auto-alerts and nightly emails) are not sent due to SMTP configuration or application database connection problems
- MS Project import/export failure due to missing or incorrectly configured conversion services applications
- Connectivity errors due to network connection intermittency and/or proxy server caching