The REST API provides a data retrieval method directly to Power BI using the following steps.
Adding data to Power BI
- Create the API token
- You must be an administrator to create the token from the API (REST) option in the Integration section of Administration in the left navigation.
- Note the REST API base URL on the following page as we will refer to it later.
- Click Create REST Api Token.
- Select the User Context for the data retrieval and click Create Token.
- Use the radio button for Advanced.
- Use the REST API base URL noted in Step 1 with the appended REST API path for the item data to retrieve. Reference the Swagger API Documentation for the item's GET path.
- In this example, we want the list of all active projects by placing the full URL with the REST item path into the URL parts.
- Enter “api-token” in the HTTP request header parameters.
- Paste the API token created in Step 1 into the HTTP request header parameters value to the right of your “api-token” entry.
- Click OK
- Make sure "Connect Anonymously" is elected as the connection type
- Connect to retrieve your item records