Install the Project Insight for Azure DevOps integration, shown as the options of Team Foundation Server or Visual Studio Team Services in Project Insight > Administration > Get Apps & Add Ons. That's right! It's available on the Project Insight side.
Install, Set-up and Configure!
This will take you to the "App Installed" layer. Yay! Project Insight for Team Services has been installed.
"Where to next?" you may ask yourself.
- Configure: Takes you to the configuration page to start connecting your Team Services account to Project Insight - Click here!
- Getting Started: Takes you to this documentation you are ready right now - very meta...
- Cancel: Keeps you on this page. You'll notice the "Install" button goes away. Click the Your App & Add Ons button at the bottom of this page to go to the Configure page.
We'll first navigate to your "Organization" section in your Azure DevOps site. You may be asked to login, if you have not logged in today.
Create your Api Token on Azure DevOps by navigating to the screenshot below:
- In creating the personal access token, you will have the options to give the token a name and authorize the scope of access associated with the token
- That scope has two options: "Full access" and "Custom defined"
After you have your Api token from Azure DevOps, there are three steps to set-up your PI Integration within Project Insight:
- Enter your Organization name found in your Azure Devops URL (e.g. http://your-team-services.visualstudio.com)
- Enter your TFS Api Token
- Leave Collection field blank for the TFS Default Collection
- Click Save!
After connecting, the following page will appear and give you the options to configure the integration. You will have the options to connect items like;
- Work items
- Time entries/time codes/default time codes
Map Your Azure DevOps to PI
Before saving, choose what Work Items you want to show up in PI from Azure DevOps by clicking "Map VSTS Work Item Types"
- Choose specific Work Items and
- Map Work Item Type States to a Single PI Work Status
Auto-activate New Users
Click "Map VSTS Users" to choose a project in Azure DevOps, then the users under that project will show up below to be added into PI
- Your PI Integration for Team Services will sync Team Services users with Project Insight users automatically based on username and email address
- If the integration does not find a user on the Project Insight side that matches Team Services, we'll make a user
- This is important for the project manager to know who is performing the work or commenting on the task
- By Default, Project Insight will create this new user as an INACTIVE user - meaning they are a placeholder and you won't be charged
- Check this box if you want these new users to be added as ACTIVE in Project Insight (i.e. they will receive a welcome email from Project Insight to log in)
Connect you PI Project and See the Data Sync from Azure DevOps
To connect your PI project to your Azure DevOps Work Items, navigate to the project in PI and follow the steps below to. You will not see the Work Item(s) you have in Azure DevOps yet as you need to make sure a project is created in PI that you will then connect with the Azure DevOps Work Item from PI.
- While on a project in PI navigate to Views and select "PI Integration Connections"
Once installed and configuration is complete, your project managers can link PI to Azure DevOps for each of their projects as long as each items already exist in Azure DevOps and Project Insight. Read the Azure DevOps Documentation to learn more.