Each user has their own individual work schedule. Their work schedule shows their standard hours of work, vacation, PTO, leave of absence, other non-working time or non-standard work hours.
Project Insight's intelligent scheduling then uses this project work schedule to schedule tasks. The Project Resource Allocation Reports use the users' work schedules for each user's capacity in a given time period.
Edit User Work Schedules
User Managers, Resource Managers, System Admins can update other users' Work Schedules. Default Time Sheet Approvers can update work schedules of their employees for whom they approve time.
Changing the Default User Work Schedule
From the Administration > Users > edit the User's Profile, select the "Work Calendar Inherits From:" dropdown on the Resource Info tab:
Select any of the Multiple System-Wide Work Schedules your user should use.
Adjusting Specific User Work Schedules
Each user's work schedule will be based on the default schedule selected (see above). You can add to or change a user's individual schedule.
In the Users List, use the User's Calendar icon to make any individual changes to this project's schedule:
Users can also update their own work schedules. We recommend this option because that's a lot of work for someone to keep track of another user's schedule.
Inherited non-working days for a User
Since you are looking at the specific user's schedule, only this user's specific non-workdays appear on the Holidays, Non-work Days and Special Days tab.
To see the non-working days that came from the default calendar associated with this user, click on the Inherited Days tab.
Navigate through this display the same way by clicking on Previous Year, Next Year or All text.
Apply Resources' Work Schedules to a Project
Each time a PM assigns a resource to a project, there is a setting for that resource to control the work schedule to use (see Project Resource View).
Use the Project Default Work Schedule? Then PI uses the project specific work schedule.
If you use the Resource's Work Schedule? Then you'll need to know some rules.
Rules for Using Personal Default Work Schedule
If one Resource per task
- There is one resource assigned to the task and
- The project uses the resource's personal work schedule
Then the following occurs:
- The Task's scheduled start and end dates use the User's Work Schedule
- Your project plan will adjust as users enter their non-working days
- This can result in your project plan changing unexpectedly
If multiple Resources assigned to a task
- There is more than one resource assigned to the task and
- The project uses each resource's personal work schedule and
- The resources have different non-working time scheduled during the duration of the task
Then the following occurs:
- The Task's scheduled start and end dates use the Project's Work Schedule
- PI can't determine duration using the individual users' work schedules in this situation because they are different and conflict with one another
- After calculating the Task's duration, PI then uses each Users' individual work schedule to distribute the assigned number of work hours evenly over those available days
- This can result in an overallocated resource for those remaining days
Quick Tip: If this occurs and you want the task duration scheduled according to each individual users calendar, you'll need to create separate tasks for each resource.